Brief History Of The Eritrean Police Force
police eritrea

5. THE ESTABILISHEMENT OF THE ERITREAN POLICE AFTER INDEPENDENCE

Eritrea was liberated from Ethiopia by the EPLF in 24 May 1991. In spite of the war torn economy, the State of Eritrea established a police force composed of 90% of ex -freedom fighters and remaining 10% Eritreans who were serving the Ethiopian regime.
The State of Eritrea was forced to take such decision in order to maintain peace throughout the land and to fill the vacuum with available personnel from freedom fighters, who were experienced, disciplined, well trained and who were ready to serve the public without regular pay for a considerable years.

The new Eritrean Police Force was established 30 years ago, on the event of Eritrean independence. Before the emergence of different colonizers, Eritrea had traditional valuable codes administered by leaders of various communities. The brief history of the Eritrean police force thus, can be best explained by the following four paragraphs.
1. ERITREAN POLICE UNDER ITALIAN COLONAZATION 1890-1941
Under Italian colonization the first paid and uniformed Para-military force was established in 1890 by the name of ‘’Carabineri’’. However, in 1936 a regular civilian police force came into being in the name of PAI (Polizia Africana Italiana).

2. ERITREAN POLICE UNDER THE BRITISH ADMINISTRATION 1941-1951
When the Italians were defeated by the allied forces, Eritrea remained under British protectorate. The British absorbed the PAI police force as it was. PAI was changed to Eritrean Police Force (EPF), changed the uniform, insignia to gazelle and the Turkish hat (Turban) was replaced by an Australian hat.

3. ERITREAN POLICE UNDER FEDERAL ADMINISTRATION 1952-1961
Although the aspiration of the Eritrean people was for independence and self-determination, The UN passed Resolution 390 V in 1952 where Eritrea became federated with Ethiopia.
The Federal Government of Eritrea inherited a huge Police Force from the British administration that was challenging to maintain.

4. ERITREAN POLICE UNDER THE ETHIOPIAN RULE 1962-1991
When the federation was abolished during the reign of Emperor Haile Salassie in 1962, Eritrea became a province of Ethiopia. This made the existence of the Eritrean Police Force untenable. Most of the Eritrean police were transferred to central Ethiopia with the aim creating unity of Eritrean people with the rest of the country.

 

 

 

Head of Police

 

 

 

Head of INTERPOL NCB Asmara